Tsinghua University was established in 1911 in Beijing, originally under the name “Tsinghua Xuetang”. The school was renamed "Tsinghua School" in 1912. The university section was founded in 1925. The name “National Tsinghua University” was adopted in 1928. Tsinghua University is as famous as Peking University ranks No.1 in mainland, additionally, there is another Tsinghua University located in Taiwan.
The faculty greatly valued the interaction between Chinese and Western cultures, the sciences and humanities, the ancient and modern. Tsinghua scholars Wang Guowei, Liang Qichao, Chen Yinque and Zhao Yuanren, renowned as the "Four Tutors" in the Institute of Chinese Classics, advocated this belief and had a profound impact on Tsinghua's later development.
Tsinghua University was forced to move to Kunming and join with Peking University and Nankai University to form the Southwest Associated University due to the Resistance War against the Japanese Invasion in 1937. In 1946 The University was moved back to its original location in Beijing after the war.
After the founding of the People's Republic of China, the University was molded into a polytechnic institute focusing on engineering in the nationwide restructuring of universities and colleges undertaken in 1952. In November 1952, Mr. Jiang Nanxiang became the President of the University. He made significant contributions in leading Tsinghua to become the national center for training engineers and scientists with both professional proficiency and personal integrity.
Since China opened up to the world in 1978, Tsinghua University has developed at a breathtaking pace into a comprehensive research university. At present, the university has 14 schools and 56 departments with faculties in science, engineering, humanities, law, medicine, history, philosophy, economics, management, education and art. The University has now over 25,900 students, including 13,100 undergraduates and 12,800 graduate students. As one of China’s most renowned universities, Tsinghua has become an important institution for fostering talent and scientific research.
The educational philosophy of Tsinghua is to "train students with integrity." Among over 120,000 students who have graduated from Tsinghua since its founding are many outstanding scholars, eminent entrepreneurs and great statesmen remembered and respected by their fellow Chinese citizens.
With the motto of “Self-Discipline and Social Commitment” and the spirit of “Actions Speak Louder than Words”, Tsinghua University is dedicated to the well-being of Chinese society and to world development.
The History of Tsinghua University
|Four Tutors of Tsinghua University
Located in the northwestern suburbs of Beijing, Tsinghua University was established in 1911 on the site of “Qing Hua Yuan (Tsinghua Garden)” —a former royal garden of the Qing Dynasty. Partly funded by the “Gengzi Indemnity”, also known as “Boxer Indemnity,” it functioned at first as a preparatory school called “Tsinghua Xuetang (Tsing Hua Imperial College)” for those students who were sent by the government to study in the United States.
On April 29, 1911, Tsinghua Xuetang began its first term of study, and from that year on, the Tsinghua’s anniversary has fallen on the last Sunday of April. The name was changed to “Tsinghua Xuexiao (Tsing Hua College)” after the 1911 Revolution.
In 1925, Tsinghua launched its four-year undergraduate programme. In 1928, its name was changed to “Guoli Tsinghua Daxue (National Tsinghua University),” and in the autumn of 1929 its graduate school was set up.
Following the outbreak of the War of Resistance against Japan in 1937, Tsinghua University, Peking University and Nankai University merged to form the National Southwest Associated University in Kunming. After the war, Tsinghua University moved back to its original Beijing campus.
Three years after the founding of the People’s Republic of China, a nationwide restructuring of institutes of higher education began, and in 1952, Tsinghua University became a multidisciplinary polytechnic university specializing in training engineers. In November of that year, the Ministry of Education appointed Jiang Nanxiang as President.
Since 1978, Tsinghua University has strengthened its teaching in sciences, economic management, humanities and law. In 1999, Tsinghua opened the School of Arts and Design by merging with the Central Academy of Arts and Design. Today, Tsinghua has become a leading university: while its teaching is focused on engineering, it concurrently offers degrees in other sciences, the liberal arts, management and law.
To fully implement the “China Education Reform and Development Program,” Tsinghua University has set new development targets for the next 15 years. Educational quality and effectiveness will be improved and disciplinary structure will be readjusted. Building on our strength in engineering, the university will promote the development of science and management departments. High academic standards will also be pursued in the humanities and social sciences.
In less than 100 years, Tsinghua University has witnessed and shared the hardships and glories of the nation. The University’s motto of “Self-discipline and Social Commitment” has inspired many generations of Tsinghua teachers and students to struggle for the prosperity of China. Now, striving to build Tsinghua University into a world-class university by its 100th anniversary in 2011 has become the objective of each member of the teaching staff and the student body.
The Timeline of Tsinghua University
1911 Founding of “Tsing Hua Imperial College”, later changed to “Tsing Hua College” (preparatory school for students to study in the USA)
1925 Launching of four-year undergraduate programme
1928 “National Tsinghua University” is set up with 16 departments in four schools: the Liberal Arts, Law, Sciences, and Engineering
1937 Tsinghua moved to Changsha, merging with Peking University and Nankai University to form “Changsha Temporary University”
1938 Moved to Kunming, changing its name to “National Southwest Associated University”
1946 Returned to the original campus, “Qing Hua Yuan (Tsinghua Garden)”, in Beijing, and founded the School of Agriculture
1952 Restructured as a polytechnic university after the nationwide restructuring
1978 Nationwide College Entrance Examination is resumed
1984 Establishes the first Graduate School in China.
― School of Economic Management is formed out of the existing department of management engineering.
― School of Sciences resumes on the basis of science departments.
1985 First School of Continuing Education opens in China
1988 Establishes School of Architecture
1993 Former departments and research institutes in the humanities and social sciences merged as School of Humanities and Social Sciences
1994 Establishes School of Information Science and Technology
1996 Establishes School of Mechanical Engineering
1999 School of Law reopens
― Establishes School of Applied Sciences and Technology
― Establishes Academy of Arts and Design by merging with the Central Academy of Arts and Design
2000 Establishes School of Civil Engineering
― Establishes School of Public Policy and Management.
2001 Establishes School of Medicine
2002 Establishes School of Journalism and Communication
2003 Merges Huaxin Hospital and Yuquan Hospital into Tsinghua
2004 Establishes School of Aerospace
2006 Peking Union Medical College changed its name to “Peking Union Medical College (Division of Medicine, Tsinghua University)”
2008 Establishes School of Marxism
2009 Establishes School of Life Sciences
2011 Centenary Celebration
― Establishes School of Environment
Writer: David from Seeraa International
All Rights Reserved, Illegal Duplication is Forbidden